Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Have any of you ever had to call Poison Control?

Last night I had the great adventure of calling poison control. Isaac came into the family room last night with a bottle of Listerine. I asked him what he was doing and he replied I am going to use this. When he had his surgery he had to use it to keep his mouth clean. I told him that he had to go put it back. If you all know Isaac he didn't put it back. However I told him that he need to be in the bathroom because you don't swallow it and need to spit it out. I went to go check my email and Lexi came into the office. I picked her up and she smelled of Listerine. I quickly asked Isaac why she smells and he gave me a lame excuse that her elbow got in it. A few minutes went buy and I went to give her milk and noticed the smell directly from her mouth. Again I questioned my seven year old son!! Yes he finally said I gave her a syringe full of it. With the urge to strangle a seven year old I quickly grabbed the bottle of Listerine that says keep away from children and if swallowed more than the dose then call poison control. As I sent Isaac to his bed I dialed poison control to find out what I needed to do. The lady was very nice and said that I need to keep her awake for an hour to watch her. basically she was drunk from the alcohol in the Listerine and I need to make sure she wasn't too sleepy. While watching her she would run into walls and was walking wobbly. Lexi seemed to be fine but I don't recommend giving Listerine to a 14 month old. The lady at poison control said what would make your seven year old give her Listerine? I said well it is Isaac. She laughed and said that maybe you should talk to him a little more and say whatever isn't good for you is not good for your baby sister. Word to the wise stay clear of Listerine.

8 comments:

Goff family said...

I drank a whole bottle of this when I was little. My mom had to call poison control as well. I was a little drunk - strait alchol and they had to give me epicac. Not fun that you had to go through that.

Martha said...

Sounds like an adventure!

Gibbons Family said...

How scary but it sounds like all turned out well. It is a good story now that all is said and done!

Swain Family said...

I'm telling you now, it isn't just Isaac, it’s the gender! For some reason they are born that way…with that part of them that impulsively acts without thinking or reason. From what I seen, they never completely out grow it, but they can be taught to suppress it! lol! Good luck!

Windy said...

Been there, done that. ahhh man, older sibs. They love to experiment on the younger ones don't they?...hmmm if I cannot drink it I wonder what would happen to my sis? Ahhh Kim, you handled it like a pro. I am glad that Lexi was okay. Moments like that happen so fast, scary

Kam said...

oh yah...use the listerine excuse and blame it on the seven year old...tell Robert to find a better place to stash his alcohol than in the toy box :-) Hee!! On a serious note, thanks again for all that you guys did to help me with our house. We are starting to get settled in, hangin pics and such, the real mess is what all got stashed in the basement!

Unknown said...

my grandson just took a little sip of mary kay makeup remover, has it any poison content?

Unknown said...

poison control confirms NO it is not poisonous thank goodness.